Monday, March 2, 2009

Living Guyana is now Dead

Just got my daily dose of the Guyana Times and I was surprised to know that the popular blog Living Guyana has been shut down. I've never been a constant reader of that particular blog but from what I know of it, it was very much popular and anti-government.

I'm not sure if the Government had a role to play in the eventual closure of this blog because of the recent false reporting on the GBTI matter. Last week, however Freddie Kissoon who usually gets most of them right was wrong when he wrote that the Canadians are going to be cutting aid from Guyana a claim, which was later denied by the Canadian authorities. Now is anyone going to censor Freddie for that? I doubt it.

I'm not sure but I would assume that the folks at Living Guyana did not deliberately try to mislead the Guyanese public however with that said, in the current time that we're living with this Global financial crisis which has now spread to our land, a report of that nature should have been fully checked and verified before being published. For a website that was intended to expose the flaws and critiques of the media, Living Guyana broke one of the basic rules of reporting by not fact-checking which is what eventually led to their downfall.

My personal opinion is that I think they had it coming, they had it coming, they had it coming all along. It was only a matter of time before they got it, and now they got it. I'm thinking that they are going to pop up again somewhere, sometime soon.

No comments: