Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Double Standards coming from a budding dictatorship

I tell ya, with each passing day this government does things that does nothing to help their perception in the eyes of the general public. As I write this I wonder if I can also be classified as part of the new opposition, or if the police will be investigating me sometime soon. It's for that reason I don't report anything, I just speak my mind. Freedom of expression I think is what they call it, or was it Freedom of Speech, either way I think I'm constitutionally covered, but with this government you are never too sure.

All across the world countries and individuals are facing the worst financial crisis in decades and there have been numerous discussions about the crisis, accusations leveled, suggestions offered, criticisms given. The point is, people have been freely talking about the crisis and no one has been censored for their views. Now here we are in Guyana and the signs that democracy is fading is once again showing. This time the government has ordered CNS 6 to cancel a scheduled broadcast of a program discussing the CLICO debacle. It was reported that the television station was allegedly threatened with a lawsuit and another suspension of his license. Now tell me, are these not signs that we are living in a dictatorship? When the government officials head to NCN/GINA and spit out those polished nonsense to the Guyanese public no one tells them anything. The country we're living in I guess...



No comments: