Monday, March 2, 2009

An afternoon in the National Park

This afternoon after a long while I decided to head out and get some cardiac exercise. This quest for some exercise led to the National Park where I was gonna jog a few miles.

When I entered the park however, I was pleasantly surprised at the amount of persons that were using the park for the same purpose as I was and I was truly happy. I was very glad because the perception I had was that many Guyanese are too lazy to get up and get some exercise. I've noted a growing number of fat people around these days and honestly I think most of them allow themselves to become that way so I harbor some disdain for them. But today in the park, I saw that there were quite a few overweight persons who were doing laps very purposefully and I realized that some people really do try to do something about their weight and their health all-together.

I've noticed for a while that people are more health conscious when shopping in the supermarkets or when they're eating out and I must say that it is indeed very commendable that we're taking that step to take care of ourselves. However there are still many lazy people out there and we need to get them healthy. So if you're a jogger or you get some exercise, start encouraging your friend(s) to join you.

For me it was a realization, as I said for the most part I thought fat people are lazy, eat-all, self-pitying individuals who are good subjects for fat people jokes and insults but today in the park, some of them proved me wrong.

No comments: