Wednesday, February 18, 2009

A Visit to the Botanical Gardens

Some friends and I paid a trip to the Botanical Gardens/Zoo this past weekend and boy were we in dismay.  Seriously, why is it called the Botanical Gardens?  It should actually be called the Bush, Weeds and more Bush Sanctuary.  It’s that bad!  If unsightly greenery were to take over the world then this place just might be their headquarters for world domination.  And what’s with all that crane shit in the water?  Hmm, I’m sure the manatees don’t really like that.  I wonder when this place will return to it’s former glory?  I’ve been waiting for years, yet I haven’t seen any changes.  I’m sure Habeeb Khan will get a fence for his huge gate long before any improvements are made to the Botanical Gardens.

After venturing around the grounds a bit, we decided to head into the actual zoo.  Boy was that a major mistake.  Friends, a word of advice – NEVER VISIT THE GUYANA ZOO!  Where the fuck were animals?  I saw a vulture that looked as if it probably was older than Methuselah, some battered macaws and a weird thing that was eating its own tail.  I don’t give the poor creature wrong – life must be pretty hard in there and maybe he just wanted to end the misery by committing suicide.  Then came the biggest shock of them all – a caged cow.  A FRIGGIN CAGED COW!  This must be, single-handedly, one of the worst things ever done by Guyanese people.  In all, it took us less than 8 minutes to traverse the path into and out of the zoo.  

I’ve made a plan next I want to see some Guyanese wildlife – I’ll pay a visit to one of the meetings of the National Assembly.  We’ve got a whole lot of beasts there just ready to bare their fangs at innocent prey.  Why I didn’t think of this sooner … I don’t know.

No comments: